Monday, April 14, 2008

long in the tooth

The expression means old, and came from horses of all things. As their gums recede their teeth look longer, so to say someone is long in the tooth is to say they are old.

Well, I'm not long in the tooth, but my teeth are old. And bad. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to keep them. I'm armed to the teeth with floss, mouthwash, toothbrushes, pastes, and luckily.....percoset. And antibiotics. Cliche much?

I have to have a root canal and a crown. I'm in agony, but I have to wait three weeks to start the process. Oh, well. I should have not let it go so long. I seem to always make my appointments for various things last - after everyone else. And then, sometimes not at all. My teeth have taken a back seat for too long. And I'll pay the price, and by paying the price I mean 3,000 bucks....

Sadly, after all that work, pain and money, I'll still have a funky mouth full of teeth. I've always been embarrassed of my teeth. I don't let it stop me from having a big mouth and grinning and laughing raucously.

We did a lot of laughing this weekend celebrating my sister turning 49. We laughed, sang, didn't dance (next time!) and ate and drank (but not too much...). It was nice to get away from everything. Now I have to face returning to school..not a pleasing prospect, but one I'll share in a later post!

No comments: