Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Soccer moms

I am not sure if being one is good or bad or neither, but I am curious as to when the term originated.

According to Wikipedia, it gained popularity in the 1990's. Urban dictionary has some funny entries about them - apparently, they must be white middle class women with SUV's and conservative values. I guess that is why even when I was a soccer mom (literally a mom who had a kid who played soccer) I didn't fit in.

I didn't know the right snacks to bring when it was my turn, didn't bring the requisite lawn chair, never snapped any pictures, and sometimes I ran the field on the side lines during the whole game. I enjoyed that time a lot, and got a little misty the other day when I saw a girl of about 7 in the traditional Stafford soccer blues. I wanted to run up to her and say, "I used to have a little girl just like you." Thankfully, I held back. Although I had fun, and K had fun, I never could get "in" with the other moms. They had the right clothes, the right car, the right coolers, the perfect snacks. Sometimes, I came in work clothes right from school and graded papers in the bleachers. Much to their disdain I am sure.

Lately, I've been comparing today's mom with the moms when I was growing up. We had great moms -don't get me wrong. But, our moms were not obsessed with every detail of our lives. We were kids, we played, they were moms, they did what they did. My mom made me clothes for my Barbies but she didn't play Barbies with me. She sent me out to play, but didn't photograph every second of it. And, she never set up my circle of friends for me.

As I am grappling with the guilt of the empty nest, I wonder if I did my job correctly, because I see so many women who do it ALL, and I was so lacking. I see mothers now who detail their children's lives in elaborate scrapbooks. There are entire stores devoted to this practice. They make play dates for their infants, they put their children at the center of their life, and although sometimes that is necessary while raising children, sometimes it goes too far -- doesn't it? I used to see them lurking in the school long after dropping off their kids, when I taught in a more affluent area. I would want to tell them, "Go! Get a life!"

When we was too poor to have a camera or develop film, and K would do something awesome or perform in something at school, I'd catch her eye and make a camera with my hands and pretend to click. She and I had a special secret - she knew that I knew and was there. Once another mom felt bad for me and took a bunch of pictures at a concert and gave them to me. She was shocked when I didn't act super overjoyed. I've got the pictures right here - pointing to my head -- I told her.

The last few years I have struggled with the guilt of not being a soccer mom - a mom who does it ALL. I ignored her, sent her away, was annoyed by her sometimes, and led my own life. I have beat myself up over it long enough. (although I'll still do it more - hey I'm a masochist) I've got some pictures, even some videos, perhaps a baby book somewhere. I took her to soccer, field hockey, band concerts, dances, plays, competitions, back to school night, conferences....all that I could. I even played Barbies with her....but I led my own life, too. And that is ok. I guess.

I just wish my memories could be turned off sometimes like when I feel like blubbering in the grocery store when I see a brown haired little girl in soccer cleats. I'm glad I did take the time to just stand back and observe her growing up instead of orchestrating every second.

3 comments:

vuboq said...

I, for one, am glad my mom didn't orchestrate, plan, and schedule my entire childhood. It was enough that my parents were supportive of the choices I made :-)

EllenAC6 said...

I hope they are still around and are very proud of the man you have become! cheesy - but I just ate some delish cheesy quiche, so its okay!

Cindy said...

It's a hard thing to think about - for me anyway. Soccer Mom. We're thinking of buying a mini-van and the first thing my husband said he was going to do to that van was put a soccer sticker on it.

I was part of a infant playgroup with other first time moms and I basically needed it for the support. Other moms telling me I was ok, and he wouldn't be brain damaged for falling off the changing table, or it's ok to let him watch TV. Now that he is older, I've moved away from the playgroup, because I just don't want to have to devote every Wednesday to that group. I want to be more free.

I think back when I was growing up - and I don't think we had as many activities to do. There weren't Little Gyms and such - there was the street and your friend who lived next door. Now there is stuff to occupy your every moment.

I've already said that Alex can do one activity a season - until he can drive. Then he can drive to whatever he wants to do. Until then, I'm not a taxi driver.

And I take my camera everywhere. Just because I always have. I've been a big picture taker my whole life. I've got albums and albums of pictures. Lately, I've gone through them and sent pictures to friends. And we laugh at how crazy we looked - growing up in the 80s will do that to you.