Sunday, April 27, 2008

curricula....

Curricular
Curriculum...Latin, course, from currere, to run;

Watched Atonement yesterday. It was pretty good. Featured prominently was the evacuation of the British from Dunkirk. It was a major event of World War II, but American children don't get taught about it. In the UK it is integral to the study of the war (link if you don't know about it)
Recently when I was desperately searching for more stuff on the war to teach I ran across an activity that was created by a teacher in the UK. I quickly downloaded it and ran it off for my students to do while I was gone. I confess, I didn't really read it much, just wanted something quick and easy for the sub to do. Upon my return I scanned through the children's work and discovered that it had some errors on it, namely, the date of Pearl Harbor was wrong. Several of my students noticed it as well. I pointed out that it was from the UK, and my students were worried that the British students are not being taught about Pearl Harbor properly and it is so important to what we learn. I told them it was ok because they don't even know about Dunkirk.

It got me to thinking of how much of what we are taught - what is in the curricula - is perhaps wrong. Maybe even just watered down too much, the Virginia history curriculum (known affectionately as the Standard of Learning) leaves out lots of things I think are important (Douglas MacArthur - a Virginian and General during the war) and includes some stuff I struggle to get the kids to understand: "decreased regional variation in the latter half of the 20th Century." I don't "teach to the test" - I can't see the test anyway, but I do teach the curriculum, and try to enhance it where possible. I have tried to serve on committees that revise the curriculum, but I am usually not chosen, and even if I was, the process becomes so politicized as to be ridiculous.

My lesson plans are checked, my test scores analyzed ad nauseum, but no one really checks to see if what I am teaching is in fact accurate. So, that leaves me with little loopholes and things to entertain myself, such as answering students' questions very matter of factly as if I know for sure that it is the truth -- and you know what? They believe me!!! So, of late, I have been injecting some stuff for my own jollies; When studying the technological revolution of the 20th Century, a student asked very sincerely, "Who invented the internet?" I very sincerely replied, "Al Gore." When studying about reasons for various wars, I inevitably get asked "What is the reason for THIS war?" On my especially devilish days (normally, I say I can't talk about it until it's in the history books)... I say "Oil." They don't question me or challenge my authority at all. At least on that front.

Tomorrow I get to help revise the Code of Behavior Activity Package!! I think I'll have to keep my mouth shut on most of it.

BTW - Do you know what decreased regional variation is?

1 comment:

vuboq said...

A friend of mine in college went through an entire year of high school history by answering the teacher's questions with one of only three words: boat, money, or power. Try it sometime. It usually works ;-)