Thursday, April 03, 2008

t-o-r-t-u-r-e

A long time ago, during the longest war the U.S. has every participated in, (but we are gaining ground!) a POW used Morse Code to blink the word torture. Jeremiah Denton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Denton was held prisoner for eight years by the North Vietnamese. When we learned of his torture and those of his fellow prisoners, we (the U.S.) was outraged. Rightly so.

Now, the U.S. policy on torture isn't so clear. Republican Candidate, former POW, McCain said, “Anyone who knows what waterboarding is could not be unsure. It is a horrible torture technique used by Pol Pot and being used on Buddhist monks as we speak.”

While the president said, "The bill Congress sent me would take away one of the most valuable tools in the war on terror," Bush said "So today I vetoed it," Bush said (March 8, 2008 - Google it!)

Now, you can think what you want, vote the way you want, (this is not an endorsement of McCain) however, think about teaching that stuff to 12 year olds. They watch the news, they know what torture means (have you been in a middle school locker room recently?). They can't understand why the president would veto an anti-torture bill when they are learning about torture used on American POWs. They can't understand why there was not a march on Washington for this issue! I wish 12 year olds could vote!

Ok, after I typed the last line, I thought of Hannah Montana. So, nevermind.

Speaking of torture, for 4 days a week I stand on my feet from 7:55 until usually 4:30 or 5:30 on high heels. I inherited my grandma's bunions. Why do I torture myself so? I'll tell you why......fashion bitches!!!! And, heels make you look 10 pounds thinner!!! Srsly!!!!

No comments: