Saturday, May 31, 2008

bikes and flights

You probably already know that before they made an airplane, the Wright Brothers made bicycles. Back then (late 1800's) bikes were the main mode of transportation for people everywhere. Then, along came a little article, “Wheeling and Flying,” in the Aeronautical Annual, in which James Howard Means suggested a link between flying and riding bikes.

It's easy to see the connections:
The central importance of balance and control.
The need for strong but lightweight structures.
The chain-and-sprocket transmission system for propulsion.
Concerns regarding wind resistance and aerodynamic shape of the operator.

Let's look at these in regards to my life now.

The central importance of balance and control. Hmmm. Totally off balance and out of control. Maybe a bike will lend these things to my life?

The need for strong but lightweight structures. Strong? Sure. Lightweight? Hardly.

The chain-and-sprocket transmission..what???

Concerns regarding wind resistance and aerodynamic shape of the operator. I'm pretty sure I am not aerodynamic and I am also sure I provide lots of wind resistance.

So....what started me off on this tangent are the developments of the last few weeks. In the midst of my anxiety/panic attacks my husband decided now was the perfect time to begin to realize his boyhood dream of a pilot's license. So, off he went to the local airport and took a lesson. He actually flew a plane that evening! I secretly followed him there, thinking I would for sure see a spiraling out of control plane smoking to the ground, but he didn't crash. Woo hoo!

After the lesson, he did more investigating and discovered a pesky little thing called a medical clearance. So, a new reason to try to get in shape!!

All the while, gas prices climbed several pennies each day...making my commute a rather costly endeavor -and well, that has nothing to do with this, because my work is 40 miles away and I am not riding there. But, husband's is only two miles away and he might...and that will save money, right?

Sooooo, somehow we decided to start riding bicycles to get in shape. We trudged all over town to find bikes that wouldn't break the bank, and that we would be able to get our fat asses on. We landed at Target and I got this one:

After some adjustments and air to the tires, off we went on our first ride. I haven't been on a bike in years, but just like the old saying...it was easy. Just as I rounded the corner, I felt the wind in my hair and &$%#@$%^! A loud crunching and heard some metal jingling. My new bike was broken! Long story ...but another trip to Target, an argument with the customer service people, and I came home with this one:








And, by the way, this is not a bike, it is an "alternate form of transportation."

Husband got one, too, and we had a nice, although short ride around the neighborhood. My thighs hurt!

So, that Means guy was right, there is a connection between wheels and planes, but in our case, the connection is more cardio-vascular than aerodynamic.

No comments: