Monday, May 26, 2008

windows

I've been looking outside from inside lately. Figuratively and literally. On a glorious weekend weather-wise, I've moped around, sleepy, not bathed, and slightly depressed only sneaking glimpses of the bright green and blinding sun. The cacophony of birds has been intriguing. I don't feel like writing about the junk on my mind, because it is not all settled yet, and that is well, unsettling.

I took some pictures at Williamsburg last weekend, and since this is a history blog, I'll provide some historical context.

These are colonial guard fife and drummer guys. They saw us taking pics of the governor's palace and exclaimed, "We'll give you a nice photo!" They promptly posed for us and all the other tourists. Is it bad that for some reason, I couldn't concentrate on the history?

Yes, I am sick.



Anyway, we toured the palace, which was awesome, but I was disappointed to learn that it was a rebuild. The original burned down. Other useless trivia: The first governor ( a royal appointed governor) was Spotswood (we named Spotsylvania for him - you know, the mall http://www.spotsylvaniamall.com). The lovely brick pattern is called "Running Flemish" and Thomas Jefferson used it on Monticello.

Inside the palace, I was all about being on the inside looking out:

This photo is of the front garden while we were in the orientation session.




And this photo was from the grand ballroom. I've been burned out on Colonial history for a long time, and the prospect of teaching it again as they shift our curriculum is not a pleasant one. Oh, it would be cool if I could teach what I wanted to about colonial times and the architecture, gardens and kooky stuff, but of course, I'd have to teach stuff I don't care much about.

We got lots of great pictures in Williamsburg, it really is a very photogenic place. I'm sure I'll post some more later as our trip included a torch lit fife and drum parade and ghost tour.

I am going to try to get outside today instead of just looking at life from the view inside here.

No comments: