Sunday, May 04, 2008

Mission accomplished!

Today I set out to do yardwork, clean my car, and run errands. I did them all in my disgusting, chewed up brown flip flops.

I got them all done! Well, one of my errands was to go to Borders and find a new book – but cancelled that one in favor of Target for some spring clothes splurges. I have a book to read – but I am reluctant to read it. I don't know why. Probably because I am obsessed with Inspector Banks, and Peter Robinson needs to write a new one each month. But, Donna Tartt, The Secret History is up next, and it's been on my shelf for a long, long time. My mom recommended it, and gave it to me. So, I will read it.

I managed to sqeeze in a pedicure, but I opted for the new OPI Chicago style color, and it may have been a mistake. I'll try it for a day or two, then decide. My feet were very calloused, and I was embarrassed for the nice pedicure lady because she was obviously wanting to puke. Oh, well.

The flip flops do have a history – I acquired them (there were originally two pair one for me and one for Kaiti – don't know where hers are) from my dad of all things. He was making one of his infamous trips to Wal-Mart (my folks live in the boonies of VA and Wallyworld is THE store to go to –everyday) My dad will buy anything if its on his list. So, I cleverly put “flip flops, size 7, and size 8, any color) on his list one day last summer. They arrived promptly along with the ice cream and assorted goodies (not wine – don't ask him to buy me wine – but he probably would).

I wore the flip flops to Sandbridge – a hidden, sort of, beach that mostly local VA Beachers go to. It was a sickingly hot day, with the sand burning my feet, and the warm water barely giving comfort from the stagnant humid air. But, Fun! Despite my 4 applications of Bull Frog Waterproof for Babies SPF 6000, I got a sunburn. But it came only in weird stripes where I must have missed some application.

I didn't wear the flips flops to school, as they are against the dress code, but I wished I could. They managed to live the rest of the year after September, until now, with only a few visits to the inside of the house. (My dog, Max, loves the flavor of flip flops). I discovered them when cleaning my car, buried under sweaters, Scott's dress pants to take to the cleaners for his conference last August! And under the beach towels used for the beach trip. Yes, they were still in the car. Along with 3 Santa hats, and several empty Vitamin Water bottles. (Add Vitamin water to the list of addictions if it isn't there yet).

I'm off tomorrow! Woopee!!! Oh, yeah, I'm off to have a root canal. I guess it's sad that I'd rather have a root canal than teach these days.

No comments: